We may be compensated for your purchase of any of the products featured on this page – it helps us keep the lights on :)
Depending on what you’re working on or the type of unit of measurement you feel comfortable with, you may need to change the measurement type in Excel.
For example, change from cm to inches or vice versa. You can also choose millimeters.
Changing the unit of measurement will affect what is displayed on rulers and row / column size adjustments when in Page Layout View.
What is Page Layout View in Excel?
Available in Excel 2007 and newer, the Page Layout View is an Excel Workbook view option that lets you see:
- Rulers in your worksheet that use common measurement units
- Row and column size adjustments in common measurements units
- A clear outline of where your page begins and ends and
- How your Headers and Footers look as you edit them
The measurements units available are:
- Default Units (based on your country settings)
How to Change the Unit of Measurement in Excel
You can change the type of measurement from your Excel Options.
FYI, you can access your Excel Options from the File menu on your spreadsheet.
To change the measurement unit displayed:
- Go to the Advanced section of your Excel Options (from the tabs on the left)
- Scroll to the Display section
- In “Ruler Units” drop-down, select the type of measurement you’d like
- Click OK when done
FYI, this was created using the desktop version of Excel in Microsoft 365.